December 29, 2008

In the beginning...

So it's almost 2009 and I'm hopping on the blog bandwagon as part of a NY resolution to write more for fun and less for work (yes, superdull intranet content, I mean you).

If you know me, you'll recognise the blog name from one of my favourite Smiths' songs. It may be less of an expression of my angst than it was 20 years ago (20 years ago! Morrissey, you and I are getting old), but it has a special place in my heart. (Also, it features my surname, which is a little bit cleverclever, but then I am quite a lot about the cleverclever, with varying degrees of success.)


I'm nervous about writing a blog under my real name, because anonymity has always been my safe place, and because I'm shitscared of people reading it and thinking 'what a talentless tosspot'. So this is me being Brave, because 2009 is going to be all about the bravery, and feeling the fear and doing it anyway, and other self-help cliches.


I don't usually get excited about the start of a new year, it's generally more of a shittheyear'salmostoverandIhaven'taccomplishedanything time for me, but 2009 is looming bright and shiny on the horizon and it looks like it's going to be a good 'un.


More resolutions

- use up the yarn/fabric/craft supplies stash before it eats the spare room

- read the pile of 'worthy' books on my bookshelf

- have more fun

- be more frivolous.


The first two will be dependent on a) resisting the call of haberdashers, wool mills and $2 shops and b) resisting the urge to read my latest YA finds immediately while the worthy books fester (seriously, some of these have been in the to-read pile since 2005). The last two sound easy, but I haven't had much time for fun or frivolity this year and I'm worried I may have forgotten how to recognise them. Wish me luck...

No comments:

Post a Comment