September 28, 2009

Footy finals fever

You know you really call Melbourne home when you care about the AFL grand final. Saturday marked the third grand final since we moved here, and the first time I a) knew who was playing or b) had an opinion about who won. And it was completely un-me (a friend who was visiting from Sydney accused me of having the 'taint'), but I kind of liked the fact that I felt compelled to watch the last half of the game and that I was cheering, groaning and holding my breath along with the fans in the crowd. Go Cats! Still, I'm also pleased footy season's over for another year. Maybe now we'll get some news headlines that don't have to do with players disgracing themselves (I'm talking to you, Brendan Fevola).

In other news, I'm loving:
  • the cover art for my book (it's all getting so real now it's a bit scary!)
  • reading Alexander McCall Smith's The Dog Who Came in From the Cold in daily instalments
  • eating spring veg: asparagus, broad beans and artichokes ahoy!
  • sending knitted gifts overseas, including this wee owl brooch made from a pattern by the lovely Ysolda
  • the backlash against the 'new' Vegemite.

No comments:

Post a Comment