November 18, 2009

How does my garden grow?

Our little vegie garden is starting to show signs of, um, vegetables. And it's exciting!

So far only the lettuces, silverbeet and herbs have been big enough to pick, but last night I couldn't resist snipping off a few tiny yellow zucchinis. They were barely bigger than my little finger, so not exactly a meal in themselves, but I stuffed their little (too little for stuffing, if I'm being honest) flowers with a ricotta and basil mixture and simmered them in a tomato sauce (which also contained liberal amounts of homegrown silverbeet). We had them with pasta. Delish.

It's so satisfying going out to the garden and picking bits and pieces to add to our meals. I've found myself studying the vegie patch every time I pass it, to see if I can spot any changes. Every morning on our way out and every afternoon on my way in, I stop and check everything. Most exciting of all is when there are noticeable changes between one check and the next. (The potatoes and zucchini are particularly satisfying on this front.) We also have the obligatory 'What's growing there?', 'I don't think we planted that', 'Hmmm, maybe it's sprouted from something in the compost' mystery plant.

In reading news, I found lots of good stuff on my last trip to the library:
  • An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (brilliant, as usual)
  • Liberty Belle, I love You, Goodbye by Amber Deckers
  • Tomorrow All Will be Beautiful by Brigid Lowry
Have promised myself I won't borrow any more books until I've tackled the to-read pile on my bookshelf. So many books, so little reading time :\

No comments:

Post a Comment