The movie was Up, lent to us by one of Mr F's colleagues. I remembered hearing at the time it was showing in cinemas that it was a little sad in places, but I figured that was just in comparison to other animated movies, of the all-happy all-the-time mould.
Well, the reviews were right and I was wrong. Not that it wasn't a good movie (although it won't make my top 10 for the year), but there were so many sad elements to it:
- the old man struggling with his loneliness after his wife's death
- the fact that they couldn't ahve the children they dreamed of in the clouds
- the little boy whose dad doesn't have time for him
- the explorer driven mad because he's been accused of lying about his discovery
- the dog bullied by his pack...
Luckily on Saturday I scored a bumper crop of books at the library, including the last in the Georgia Nicholson series, Are these my basoomas I see before me, which provided great antidote bedtime reading. Phew!