- got up in the dark for the Anzac Day dawn service at Melbourne Shrine of Remembrance. Being a history nerd with a special interest in World War 1*, Mr F had been to many dawn services in Sydney in the past, but it was his first in Melbourne and a complete first for me.
- watched Anvil! The story of Anvil and had to keep re-reading the back of the DVD to convince ourselves it wasn’t a mockumentary. If it was fiction, I think we would have been able to enjoy it more, but knowing that these poor guys actually went through the cancelled gigs, tiny audiences and record company rejections was a bit heartbreaking
- read The Boyfriend List by E Lockhart (faboo, I can’t wait to get started on the Boy Book, which is also in my to-read pile)
- started reading Surfache by Gerry Bobsien, which is making me think about taking up both surfing and ballet**
- booked a trip to Sydney for late May – my first proper*** visit to my hometown since Christmas 2008!
- began knitting little gifties to take on aforementioned trip.
Speaking of knitted goodies, today is the first time it’s been cold enough to break out the airy pink legwarmers and I must say they’re working a treat. I momentarily considered taking a photo as evidence of their a) pinkness and b) lairiness, but one adjective that definitely can’t be used to describe them is ‘flattering’. Every time I walk into the room, Big Orange Cat looks at them with a slightly alarmed expression, as if trying to decide whether they are friend or foe.
** a bit like when the gymnastics is on TV and I watch those tiny, weightless girls flipping all over the place and think, “That looks like fun, maybe I’ll give it a go”, and about as likely to happen, but still, surfing and dancing vicariously, yay!
*** read: longer than 1 day