October 28, 2010

No, no NaNo

Since I'm not spending too many hours at the Day Job at the moment, I had been toying with the idea of attempting NaNoWriMo again this year, even though my last attempt at it was a dismal failure. (I got to 20,000 words and realised that the plot, characters and action of the book I planned to write weren't worth pursuing. It was disappointing, but at least working at NaNoWriMo speed made the ensuing failure apparent in two weeks, instead of the two months I might have spent trying to prod and poke that dead donkey back to life if I wasn't on some sort of deadline.) If nothing else, I was attracted by the promise of getting the new Scrivener for Windows at half price if I made the word count.*

But my plans have been skittled by a new schedule for revising 'Little Sister'**, which means that most of November will be consumed with filling plotholes and tying up loose strands of back story. So, inspired by Kate and Meghan, who both used October as a quasi-NaNoWriMo for their WIPs, I now plan to celebrate Ja(nuary)Lo(cal)Ma(nuscript)Mo(nth).

To all the NaNoWriMo-ers out there preparing to do battle, I salute you and I leave you with wise observations from 2009 NaNo participant, John Green. Happy writing!



* having downloaded the beta version of Scrivener for Windows recently I reckon it's worth paying full price for, anyway. I'm considering proposing to its virtual corkboard.
** now due to be published in May 2011.

1 comment:

  1. I think I just fell in love with John Green (and his puff)

    ReplyDelete