November 29, 2010

NaNoReMo: week 4

I'd be ashamed to admit that I only read one book in the second-last week of NaNoReMo, except that the book in question was Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley. From Goodreads:

"Let me make it in time. Let me meet Shadow. The guy who paints in the dark. Paints birds trapped on brick walls and people lost in ghost forests. Paints guys with grass growing from their hearts and girls with buzzing lawn mowers."

It’s the end of Year 12. Lucy’s looking for Shadow, the graffiti artist everyone talks about.

His work is all over the city, but he is nowhere.


Ed, the last guy she wants to see at the moment, says he knows where to find him. He takes Lucy on an all-night search to places where Shadow’s thoughts about heartbreak and escape echo around the city walls.

But the one thing Lucy can’t see is the one thing that’s right before her eyes.

This book wasn't in my original stack of NaNoReMo books, but after hearing Cath speak about it at the Melbourne Writers' Festival, and reading so many fantastic reviews, and having it recommended by friends with great taste in books, I couldn't resist buying a copy and then couldn't resist reading it IMMEDIATELY. I devoured the first half on a flight to Sydney last Tuesday (the only time I've ever wished that it took longer to fly from Melbourne to Sydney), and the remainder over the following few days, whenever I had time to dip into it. And when I finished it I wanted to start re-reading it straight away.

I loved everything about Graffiti Moon, both as a reader and as a writer. Lucy and Ed were fantastic narrators, their stories were compelling, their voices were true. The city and its locations were so perfectly drawn; the artworks - in galleries, on walls and in characters' heads - so brilliantly described.

Graffiti Moon reminded me of strange, wild, perfect nights spent with friends a long time ago, when anything seemed possible. It's a book I know I'll read again and again, and enjoy every time as much as the first. Perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment