January 6, 2011

Resolutions for 2011


A bright, shiny new year is upon us and this year, for the first time in many years, I decided to make some resolutions. Nothing earthshattering, just a few small, (hopefully) achievable things that will make some positive difference to my life.

I thought posting them here might force me to stick to them, even if it's only to avoid the shame of reporting that I failed at the end of the year:
  • Learn to draft my own sewing patterns - after 25 years of sewing I feel I should at least be able to come up with something basic! I'm going to start with this skirt sloper and work my way up to dresses. Results may or may not be documented on this blog, depending on how bodgy they turn out...
  • Do physio exercises for my back every day - you'd think I'd have learnt by now that this is not optional, since every time I go more than 3 days without doing the back strengethening and stretching exercises my physio gave me I end up in excruciating pain. Yes, they're boring. Yes they take up 45 minutes of my day that might be spent doing something fun. Yes, they're preferable to a week of agony and remedial physio.
  • Floss - my two worst bodily fears are gingivitis and alopecia. Gingivitis is preventable.
  • Read more non-YA - in 2010 more than 95% of the books I read were YA. I meant to get to the 'adult' fiction section of the bookstore or library, but by the time I was done browsing the YA shelves I was always over budget/borrowing capacity. In 2011 I'm going to try to balance my reading between YA and other fiction. (Believe it or not, I think this might be the hardest resolution to keep - any adult fiction recommendations to get me started are most welcome!)
Here's to a gingivitis-free 2011!

2 comments:

  1. Hey A - this is the first time I've ever commented on a blog, only just discovered yours after the library talk (first time commenter, short-time reader). It rocks. Anyway, of course I couldn't resist the book recommendation request. Here are a few I think you might enjoy:

    Good to a Fault - Marina Endicott. This reminded me of a cross between a contemporary Barbara Pym and Carol Shields. I loved it.

    A Gate at the Stairs – Lorrie Moore. I loved the tone of this one, sort of knowing and nostalgic at the same time. Seems like a good extension from YA.

    The World Beneath – Cate Kennedy. Again this is a good lead on from as main character is a teenager. This is clever and sad at the same time and I love how her characters make you cringe but you still care about them.

    Notes from an exhibition – Partick Gale. Highly readable family drama centring around the secrets in the life of the main character an artist and appalling mother. My descrip makes it sound like it should have an embossed cover – I haven’t done it justice.

    Seven Days in the Art World – Sarah Thornton. Really good NF read that is seven different linked essays about contemp international visual arts scene.

    Assume you’ve read the latest Barbara Trapido – Sex and Stravinsky. I enjoyed it but not as much as her early ones which I still re-read all the time.

    Have lots more recs if you’re keen (beauty of rummaging through the library new releases all the time). Kierst x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestions, Kierst - many to add to my Goodreads list there :) Have you read Jasper Jones or Skippy Dies? They're currently vying for first place on my to-read list...

    ReplyDelete