March 8, 2011

Happy International Women's Day

Today is the 100th anniversary of International Women's Day. Even though I really, really hate the fact that IWD only exists because women and men are still so far from being equal, it's a great day to celebrate our achievements and strengthen our resolve to achieve equality for women all over the world.

In honour of IWD, here are a few women I really admire.*

Meg Rosoff - not only do I love her books, but her blog posts make me laff and laff. She also reminds me that everyone gets writer's block; that there are advantages to not being published when you're very young; and not to take myself too seriously.

Pip Lincolne - you may know Pip from the Meet Me At Mike's blog and/or books. She's someone who's worked hard to make a living doing what she loves and now she's receiving the karmic payback she deserves. Not only is Pip a supertalented crafter, she's also very generous, kind and an all-round ace chick.

Maggie Beer - I love watching Maggie on TV - she's so warm and lovely, you just know she'd be fun to hang out with, and her passion for fresh local produce is addictive.

Aside from being great at what they do, what these women have in common is that they've found success by following their passion. I aspire to be more like all of them.

I'll leave the final thought for the day to Dusty...




* This list is by no means exhaustive, obv., otherwise it would go on for the interwebs equivalent of milesandmiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment