March 22, 2011

Tales from the Fantapants Archive - 22 March 1982

Mr Fantapants' school diary for 22 March 1982 reports a boring weekend.


As an adult, it's hard to conceive of the weekend being boring, esp. when you have to cram in all the tasks you didn't have time to do during the week because you were too busy working, but I remember many days (even weeks, in the school holidays) of wandering around the house whining, 'I'm bored.' My mum's standard reponse was: 'Only the boring are bored.'* Like so many things adults said, this made no sense to me at all at the time, since I was convinced that I was a very interesting little person indeed and that it was only my lack of Barbie's Dream Castle/a pony/wings that made life so dull...


* pronounced in Lady 'In a handbag' Bracknell tones.

2 comments:

  1. and if he'd only stepped outside, beyond the realm of the ironing board - there's a lovely little buzzing world out there!! he could have played with that bee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly, and all sorts of shenanigans could've ensued!

    If it was my house, my mum would've pointed me directly to the ironing board, to learn the real meaning of 'boring'...

    ReplyDelete