- Kate Constable very kindly shared how she's taken her 250 word trick to a new, advanced level. I'm going to give it a go!
- The New York Times report that ebooks were the buzz of BEA made me think, yet again, that it's something Australian publishers and authors really need to get our heads around.*
- Jennifer Hubbard performed manuscript surgery.
- I learned how to spot a psychopath, courtesy of an extract from Jon Ronson's new book.** Like Malcolm Gladwell, Ronson has a tremendous talent for narrative non-fiction; I read this article with the same kind of fascination-slash-revulsion that I felt when Jane Burke showed her pig-gutting Pig Boy research photos at Reading Matters.
- Write4Kids's YA blogger reflected on the overabundance of 'perfect' characters in YA, and why they don't make for interesting reading.
- Mental Floss told me way more than I ever wanted to know about Hello Kitty (except I kind of did want to know it all). (And if I ever get sick in Korea I am going to demand to be treated in the Hello Kitty hospital!)
- And I leave you with...an otter who knows how to appeal to its audience:
** And I challenge you to read the checklist of psychopathic 'symptoms' and not find yourself thinking of at least one person you know!