July 12, 2011

Heaven knows, I was miserable then


I'm chuffed to have a guest on Dear Teen Me today.

 I'd thought that writing a letter to my 15-year-old self would be a doddle, but it was a lot harder than I imagined. It made me revisit all those hours spent holed up in my bedroom with the blinds closed, listening to The Smiths and wishing I could go to sleep and wake up when I was twenty, and brought back a lot of angsty feelings that I thought I'd gotten over a long time ago.

It also forced me to admit that I could do with taking a bit more of my own advice on a daily basis: after I sent my submission in I went to our local off-leash dog park and watched a couple of Staffies chase balls. It made me feel much, much better.

And then I came home and listened to some Smiths, because 80s-era Morrissey* still understands my pain...



* i.e. before he moved to the States and took up golf

2 comments:

  1. that is a really beautiful letter you've written to yourself, aimee. sad and lovely. think it would be hard to write a letter to our fifteen year old selves...

    and on the more superficial side, i really love your hair in this pic - it's pretty much the haircut i've been considering getting, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was one of my better haircuts, before I started experimenting with black dye and ended up with a distinctly skunklike streak down the middle of my head while it grew out...

    ReplyDelete