September 20, 2011

A Thousand Words


 I'm very excited about A Thousand Words in Melbourne this Saturday, not least because I'm on a panel with the ridonkulously talented Tim Pegler and ATW director (and writer) Bec Kavanagh about how to make writing work as a career.

I don't know if I've figured out the answer to that conundrum yet, but as someone who has in the last 18 months worked full-time, freelance and - my latest incarnation - part-time while writing Book 3, I have plenty to share. (Including the fact that writing fiction full-time was probably the hardest job I've ever attempted.) It's a fact for most writers that their books don't pay the bills, so most of us have to take on some other kind of work, but something I only realised recently is that having other work - whether it's writing-related or not - actually makes you (well, me, anyway) more productive and more focused when you do sit down to write.

Saturday's program is aimed at writers and aspiring writers and includes sessions on creating great characters and getting over the dreaded rejectionitis. Check out the festival program for full details. You can buy tickets online (a bargain at $20 for a full day!).

No comments:

Post a Comment