January 24, 2012

How I talked my way out of writer's block

Writer's block is not new to me, but Little Sister brought with it the worst case I've ever had. For almost two months I was pretty much paralysed. Every morning I'd turn on my laptop, read the pitiful amount I'd managed to write the day before, delete it and stare once again into the void.

I knew that I'd come to a standstill because there was something wrong with the direction the story was going in, but no matter how many times I re-read what I'd already written, I couldn't see what it was. I read every blog post I could find about plotting and story structure and ways to break through writer's block but - aside from legitimising my procrastination - they didn't help. Not that they weren't full of useful information, they just couldn't tell me where I'd gone wrong.

Today I guest blogged on Dee White's blog about the frank conversation that finally broke my block.

No comments:

Post a Comment