October 23, 2013

What she read: Great Aussie YA

One of the (many) great things about Ms Marmalade starting to sleep through the night at 8 months is that I was finally awake enough to be able to read more than two pages of a book before falling asleep. Sometimes I even manage whole chapters!

Over the past few months I've been catching up on my to-read list, starting with some somewhat recent Aussie releases. As I've disclaimed many times before, book reviews are an artform at which I suck, but here are some books I really loved and an attempt to explain why. (Btw, books are listed in the order I read them, not by how much I liked them; links are to Goodreads.)

Wildlife by Fiona Wood - great characters; duel narration; straight-talk about love, sex and the murkiness between them.

Girl Defective by Simmone Howell - gritty, funny and real; breathtaking turns of phrase; a love interest I could fall for.

New Guinea Moon by Kate Constable - transported me to PNG on the cusp of Independence; beautiful, thoughtful writing.

Only Ever Always by Penni Russon - parallel worlds; duel narration; still a bit spooked.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Aimee, I'm so glad you enjoyed NGM.

    I heartily agree with your endorsement of the other three books - they are all fantastic in their different ways. We're so lucky to have such a range of strong female voices in contemporary Australian YA (and all lovely ladies too).

    ReplyDelete
  2. The measly words I came up with to describe NGM barely begin to describe how much I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read the first two on your list, must read the second two ;)

    I'm loving FFL at the mo!

    ReplyDelete