November 4, 2013

Do over

I went to the movies today for the first time in over a year! I felt guilty enough about skipping out to a movie on a weekday so I didn't want to see anything that Mr Fantapants would be envious of, which was a good excuse to see About Time. It wasn't life changing but it was jolly nice and very sweet and a little bit sad, and all the other things you expect from a Richard Curtis romcom (coincidentally all the reasons Mr F won't watch it).

The movie's premise is that the protagonist can travel back in his own lifetime to do things differently until he gets them right, which, naturally, got me thinking about things I would do over if I had the chance, like:
  • the Very Mean thing I did in Year 6 that still makes me blush with shame when I think about it
  • telling my Year 9 religious education teacher that Jesus wanted me for a sunbeam
  • letting an apprentice hairdresser loose on my head with a razor
  • not making sure my name was removed from the last lease I held with my ex
  • waiting until my 30s to start taking my writing seriously
  • turning down an epidural during childbirth.
But when I thought about it more closely I realised that, while I might not think fondly about them, these things are part of my sum. The memory of that Very Mean thing reminds me to try to be kinder, ditto not being more sensitive about my teacher's beliefs. Being taken to the tenancy tribunal taught me not to leave important things up to flaky guys who can't even pay their rent on time. I started writing when I finally felt I had something worth sharing. It was all worth it except for turning down that epidural. That'd be a do over.

Speaking of movies, I can't wait to see this...

No comments:

Post a Comment